Sunday, June 10, 2007

The last three days have been rich.
So rich I am not sure where to start. How does one tell a story and bring it to life?
Of course, any point that I start will never be the beginning, so I will just start with this moment.

I am sitting in an internet cafe called 'Long Tick'it is across the street from the side of the market where they sell flipflops and second hand clothing. Up the road from me is the hospital and in the other direction is St. Monica's, where I am staying.

This is an interesting time to be entering into the birth dialogue.
Aimee and I were invited by one of the nurse midwives, Sister Florence, to attend a workshop she was leading for Traditional Birth Attendants. These are women who have not been formally trained, but attend to most of the births happening in villages. The purpose of the workshop, she explained to us, was to train them in recognizing the signs of early labor so that they can refer women to hospitals. Because of HIV/AIDS the Ugandan government has now made it illegal for TBA's to conduct a delivery unless it is 'by accident'.
Aimee and I attended the workshop and we filmed.
Thanks to IMovie we were able to edit together 3 minutes of our footage last night which I will try to be internet savvy enough to post. (the quality will be shitty since I have reduced the pixel size for the blog, but you will get a sense).
The hope is that we can continue filming in the villages and the hospital to really get to the heart of how women hope they will birth, talk about birth and actually birth.

No comments: