Saturday, June 2, 2007

I am headed to Uganda tomorrow and I have been weepy all day.
Not really sure why except for the feeling of being overwhelmed by all that I need to get done in the moment mixed with a distinct lack of control over future moments makes for a potent combination.

I can't decide if I will take the anti-malarial pills or not.
They are about fifty percent effective- so I am not sure if that fifty percent is worth the nausea and hallucinations they induce. I know that garlic and citronella are also a powerful combo. The travel doctor who prescribed the Malerone called me a hippy when I refused the Typhoid shot and told him I might not take the anti- malarials. I say I am just a conscious consumer.

My hope is to approach this journey as open and naive as possible.
To catch a few babies, learn a few things, offer a few things, exchange.
I am acutely aware of my western privilege and its implications for both sustainable change and destruction within a community. This is a delicate balance- one that takes a constant 'locating' of self and willingness to admit that I will be taking more then I will be giving.

It's midnight. I need to pack.
Bring a bunch of extra underwear since they tend to get moldy in the humid air.
That's it for now.
More from Gulu.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm speechless...and oh so happy for you...if you're available and time allows, I will physically place a robe of light on you...if not, I will send one via your buddies...

I Love and will log in regularly
GodSpeed...Mama Coni

Unknown said...

You rock, I will send a cosmic whoosh your way as your spread love. I am with you in spirit and I am glad you are in my life